Friday, July 8, 2011

Style Spotlight: URK Clothing





I recently had the pleasure of interviewing the creator, owner & designer of URK Clothing Yaissel Tuti Medina. We happily discussed the past, present and future of URK Clothing along with some great input from her assistant manager Stephany Alvarez. Be sure to check them out online and follow them on twitter @URKClothing


1. The first question I always love to ask is, where did the inspiration

come form to create your own clothing line?


Yaissel: Well, I always designed my own t-shirts ever since Middle School then in

High School I started wearing it more often since we didn't have a dress

code. I designed for myself which made URK Clothing basically a private

line. In October of 2010 I decided to make it into a public line so

everyone can have access to the clothing I designed.



2. What is the meaning behind the name U.R.K. (Us Raw Kids)?


Stephany: Us Raw Kids is a statement to us, that no matter how old you are

you still have a cool kid deep inside, we find it important for people to

remember that you live one life, and you need to enjoy it.



3. How involved are you with the production of every garment for your line?


Yaissel: Very involved. I like to make sure everything goes right and if

things go wrong, I like to be able to fix it before it’s too late. I like to

oversee and double check during the process. From the company that makes

my t-shirts to the company that prints them its a family you know. I don't

see it as a job, I see us as a big family and at the end of the day you

must be comfortable with who produces the products for your company.




4. With all the clothing lines emerging at this time, how do you feel about

some of the competition out there for U.R.K.?


Yaissel: Honestly, as far as competition there is only about two clothing

lines I believe are doing well and they have been out for 5+ years. There

will always be competition but I'm not really worried about that. Once you

start focusing on something else, in this case "competition", you'll start

lacking in the quality of your work and overall design. As far as URK, we

show the love for fashion in our designs. From the flyers for

collaborations, to the flyers for pre-sales to our t-shirt designs. It’s a

consistency of design quality and love for the work.


Stephany: I would have to agree with Yaissel, there will always be

competition. However, you don’t want to have competition you want to be the

competition because once you begin thinking about someone else and what

they are doing you have already thought about them way too much, and there

is no time for distraction. URK is unique in the way that we care, Yaissel

is always looking for feedback she wants to give people what they are

looking for!




5. What was the defining moment in the process of creating this line that

you knew this was going to be big and worth all the time, energy and money

you can put into it?


Yaissel: What really brought reality to URK Clothing is that I only dropped

one t-shirt design and everyone always asking when this design is dropping

or when that design is dropping. I did something different though, instead

of putting hundreds and thousands of dollars into printing and selling

shirts without people really knowing about URK I made a Facebook

introduced some of the designs that will be dropping, started my fan base

and then finally started releasing t-shirts. The doors started opening

fast, boutiques in Chicago and stores here in Miami want URK on their

shelves. Many artist want to wear URK Clothing many people want to take

part of the whole movement and overall project and just knowing this line

only started a few months ago, i'm happy its grown so rapidly.


Stephany: When Yaissel and I met, it was really random but we became very

close, and I knew she had her own clothing line however I had no idea that

it would blow up so quickly, as her friend I was there to support her, and

as her assistant manager I was here to help (not like she needs it) but if

you have seen what I have seen the real defining moment is when she

thought about it, because when this girl gets something in her head it

comes out like art, she spends every waking moment thinking of new ideas,

and sometimes they just come to her so energy... She has plenty of that to

pass around, and as for money when you want to fulfill your dreams money

is not an obstacle it kind of just appears when needed.



6. Where do you see U.R.K. going in the next couple of years? What are

your sincere expectations of the brand?


Yaissel: In the next couple of years I see URK Clothing collaborating with

major brands such as "1O deep, Stussy, Hundreds, etc."

I see the brand in major stores in New York City, California, Texas, New

Jersey, Paris and many more. Its going to be worldwide. My expectations

for the brand are basically to deliver what everyone has been asking for.

Everyone wants something different and thats what I am giving them. From

the name to the line to the logo it's all different.


Stephany: Pretty much I see URK as top of the line casual wear, I mean I

believe this clothing line has what it takes to make it extremely far,

like she said worldwide, especially since its not just for one person URK

is for everyone of all shapes and sizes, male or female, its diverse and

diversity is needed.





7. If you can describe the moment where your success has grown to be far

greater than anything you have ever dreamed of, what would that moment be?


Yaissel: That moment is right now. I started the clothing line alone and

worked alone for a few months. My designs were and are great. The thought

process is great, but I felt as if I was missing something which was a

team. One individual or a group of individuals I can turn to in need of a

favor or overall help and now I have that team. It consists of three

individuals: Stephany Alvarez, Andrew Peynando, Stan Herdi. I have my

promotions team which consist of: Kevin Rodriguez, JT, Jose. I have music

labels/record companies who support URK Clothing such as: Skit-So Ent,

Truth Productions, Def Jam Records, College Nation, etc. I have my

photographer Pablo Costa from PGC Productions.

Each day is a successful day. These are just some names off the top of my

head but there are many other people who have taken part in making URK

Clothing into what it is today. I don't measure success by how much money

we have or how many shirts we sold, we measure it by how many people we

helped how many lives we impacted.


Stephany: I was honestly shocked at all the people that email daily asking

to be a part of URK clothing, all the record labels, and unsigned artists

its pretty crazy, and I am just proud! EXTREMELY proud because every day

feels like a dream come true.




8. Do you ever consider quitting and moving on to do something else?


Yaissel: No, I don't quit. I just add onto what I have. I want to do

music? Then I start a music team or music label under URK Clothing.

Whatever I want to do or whatever I do will always have URK Clothing under

it. Instead of starting over, I just add on and give that much more value

to the brand and the name.



9. What are you working on currently?


Yaissel: At the moment, I'm working on the snapback collection that will

be dropping either later November (2011) or early January of 2012. I'm

also working on the series called "The Future". It’s a huge collaboration

series with Dangerous Vintage (a clothing line signed under URK), Solely

HipHop, and Young&Educated. It’s going to be real big, real inspirational

just like all my other work. Also working on a collaboration project with

another line signed under URK which is FlyLife.


Stephany: Yaissel is working very hard on the snapback & “The Future”

Collection (I got a sneak peek!) its going to be spectacular! Stay tuned!




10. In your opinion, how would you like U.R.K. to be perceived by fans of

urban fashion?


Yaissel: hmm . . . I want it to be looked at as more than just another

line trying to make an extra buck. My team and I put a lot of work, time,

and energy into our work. I spend more time thinking of the design and

than actually making it. Every design, every collection, every

collaboration has its own story, its own meaning. Its like your wearing a

story not just another piece of fabric with some ink. I don't consider

having "fans" to me my "fans" are just family. They help my dreams come

true and I gear them up with fresh clothes. So whomever supports URK

Clothing is apart of the URK Clothing familia (familia is family but in

spanish). #VivaLaURKFamilia


Stephany: Exactly, and that’s something that I believe sets us apart. URK

is not just some clothing line, the process that we go through from her

thinking to my assisting when needed to everyone’s opinion, we do not just

throw anything onto a t-shirt to sell, Picasso didn’t just throw paint on

a piece of paper.



11. What other clothing lines inspire you?


Yaissel: Johnny Cupcakes and 8and9.

Its not really many clothing lines that inspire me. I get inspired by

graffiti artists and just life overall. I can look at a blank wall and a

fly can fall over it and I will be able to make five different shirts to

go with that.


12.Lastly, what do you consider to be fresh, Fly & Flashy?


Yaissel: URK Clothing lol.


Stephany: Umm yeah agreed lol. Well something else fresh, fly and

flashy? I would have to say is YOUR OWN idea I don’t know if that makes

any sense at all, but I feel like to be fashion forward you have to

just plain and simple be you.


Yaissel: I agree with Stephany. Its like people are scared to be their true

selves. So they live under this shadow. If you like Poke-a-dots and

stripes and think it looks good then wear it. Just because your friend

doesn't like it or society in general doesn't agree upon it. Are you

seriously going to change who you are to fit in? I think there is too many

people trying to "fit in" that being "unique" is measured and determined

as the same characteristics of your average American teen girl or boy.

Someone who can stand up for what they believe in, make a change, and

pursue their dreams is someone unique in my book. That's someone I give

respect and will support.


"STUPID DOPE" tshirt is dropping July.12,2011 at

www.urkclothing.bigcartel.com


Make sure to check out URK Clothing at www.urkclothing.com

Follow them on Twiiter @URKClothing

LIKE them on Facebook www.facebook.com/urkclothing


I want to thank everyone that has taken part of URK Clothing and bringing

it to where it is today. Honestly, I didn't think doors would of just

opened to fast. Being from Miami the "competition" is extreme and not many

people make it as far as I have made it so far. Especially as this will be

my second shirt I released in the line and I have a ton of people want to

take part of the movement.


Special shout out to my photographer Pablo C. Emily from Skit-So Ent. DJ

Overdose. Truth from Truth Productions. Everyone at Maybach Music Group.

Everyone at Def Jam Records and everyone who has seen this line magically

grow and blossom in their eyes.


With my team everyone will have #URK in them. Once a #RawKid always a

#rawkid. Thank you Stephany. Thank you Stan. && most of all thank you

Fresh Fly & Flashy.


1 comment:

Skit-So Ent said...

FROM THE SKIT-SO/ DEF JAMS RECORDS FAM. WE THANK YOU FOR THE SHOUT OUT!. APPRECIATE IT LOADS! .. URK CLOTHING STAND TALL!