Friday, October 15, 2010

Interview With Celebrity Stylist Atiba Newsome


I recently had the pleasure to do a brief interview celebrity stylist Atiba, who is currently starring on Oxygen's new hit show HOUSE OF GLAM. Atiba is a Brooklyn native with innate sense of style along with a clear and present appetite for fashion, which is definitely going to keep him on track while he molds his career to create his legacy.
Be sure to check him out every Tues at 9pm on Oxygen. I've also uploaded the first episode where you can Atiba's true talent as a stylist while working with Teyanna Taylor.



1. Besides starring in Oxygen's new hit reality show, what other big projects are you working on right now?

I recently became the Fashion Director for Bleu magazine. It’s a black owned men magazine that I've worked with for a few months now. I love the creative control and it’s kind of cool to tell the stylist what to do for a change. I am also working with Kelly Rowland and Tristan Wilds from 90210. I want to do more TV clients than music



2. Growing up, when did you know you wanted to be a stylist, when were you sure this definitely was the career for you?

I didn't know I wanted to style until a friend let me tag along with him while he pulled from a showroom. He finally let me assist for a video and after wards I was paid in wardrobe. After that I was hooked!


3. Being from Brooklyn and seeing the trends we set here, (in your opinion) what do you feel we have to offer to the fashion industry on a broader scale?

Growing up in Brooklyn we always kept up with the latest trends. I can look at someone and tell what borough they're from by their style. I think we just think outside the box and our swag is different. Also, there are lots of West Indians in Brooklyn, all of my stylist friends are from the Islands. I'm the only American! Brooklyn was a huge melting pot with Jamaican's, Haitian's, Trinidadian's, etc. and I think we all influenced each other.


4. Working in the industry as long as you have, at what point in your career did you have that moment where you felt your reality has exceeded your dreams?

Definitely when I styled Mary for her CD cover. Puff was producing her project and told her she needed to use me. She was reluctant at first but a week after the shoot she called me and told me I had to work with her on her new video too. I couldn't believe she called my cell, “Hi, this is Mary, Mary J. Blige.” I was like "WOW", I finally felt confident in my work.



5. What goals do you still have set for your career? What do you still want to achieve?

I like being creative, I love photography and doing shoots. So maybe I'll become a creative director or maybe even do my own show about fashion. I definitely don't want to still be styling after 40.


6. Lastly, what does fashion mean to you?

Fashion means creative expression with wardrobe to me. People who have fun with clothes and want to stand out from the rest are the most fashionable in my opinion. Labels don't make the look; it’s the style that makes it officially fashion!


No comments: